Community

Community

Paris Compass: Let “College Day” and “Bloom Where You’re Planted” Guide You

Don't miss Bloom and Paris College Day, two key Paris events for newcomers to the city that could make a difference on how well you live your life in France and whether your teenager makes the right educational choice for their future.
where is home

Where is Home When You Have Moved Your Family 20 Times?

Today marks my 20th house move in 25 years of moving globally. I’m working elbow-to-elbow with a sweaty moving crew who will compress nearly all my mortal belongings into one big orange container, wheel it off to the edge of this continent, shove it onto a ship, and let the wind pulse it toward the waiting horizon.
Fête de la Musique 2016 feature image

Making Music and Celebrating Life at the Fête de la Musique 2016

What better way to spend the longest day of the year than by making music late into the night? For the 35th edition of la Fête de la Musique in Paris, the theme is "Music is stronger than…", an uplifting appeal to unite as a community after a difficult year.
refugee camp

What Happened on a Design Student’s Quest to Help a Refugee Camp

For the first few hours in the camp, I was scoping out potential design related modifications to make the refugees’ stay more… adequate? I had come expecting to experience a eureka moment: “I’m going to make this camp so much better, good Design will solve the refugee crisis!”. Boy was I wrong.
taxi service for kids

Hopways Rolls Out Mom-Approved Taxi Service for Kids in Paris

HOPWAYS, a community car pool service created by three Paris moms, has just announced they have secured a community taxi service to drive your children to and from school and activities when parents are too busy or unable to drive.
pink bra spring

Canadian Raises Breast Health Awareness With Pink Bra Spring

It’s a bird. It’s a plane. It’s a bra! For the uninitiated, the sight of bras floating floating in the sky might seem oddly delightful — just another day in Paris. For others, the Pink Bra Spring event is an opportunity to come together in love and support for breast health and women with breast cancer.
American Library of Paris

The American Library in Paris: Great Books and So Much More

Paris has always attracted great writers. They come seeking inspiration and weave the city into the tapestry of their stories. But Paris is also a great city for readers. Even with the closing of some beloved bookstores, a rich literary community thrives here, and at its center lies the American Library in Paris, the largest English-language lending library on the European continent.
refugee camp in northern France

Expat Women in Paris Wade into the Heart of the Jungle to Help Refugees

For the past few months, a small group of women have been driving from Paris to northern France and Germany with carloads filled with blankets, clothing and food. They leave the comfort of their own homes behind in search of broken families in need of immediate assistance. INSPIRELLE spoke with Kelly, Reema and Carina after their latest road trip to northern France, where refugee children and adults are struggling in dire, freezing conditions.
refugees

Don’t Shut Doors to Refugees Once We Open Them

Should we aid the growing millions of our displaced and distressed brothers and sisters? If so, how? Who, as winter encases this saga in ice, should generate the needed human heat that could save the exiled? And how can we keep our and others’ hearts from freezing over with fear or suspicion...
1 Heart 1 Tree

Plant a Tree This Christmas as a Gift to Future Generations

1 Heart 1 Tree. Find it in your heart to plant one tree and watch it grow over the next three years in a reforestation program in the Amazon forest, Asia or Africa. Plant a tree for yourself, your friends and family as a gesture of love for future generations to come.