If you’re looking for a quick and easy to prepare recipe to throw together for a starter or accompaniment to dinner, here’s one that’s guaranteed to be a crowd-pleaser. While this chickpea and tomato salad is best when tomatoes are in their sweet prime during the summer months, you can get delicious cherry tomatoes year-round here in France.
The cumin and lemon juice-based dressing not only gives the dish an exotic flavor, but also packs the dish with magnesium and Vitamin C – and aids with digestion! I serve it as a salad for barbeques in the summer and as a pre-dinner salad any time of year.
Ingredients (approximately 8 side dish servings)
- 450g chick peas, cooked and drained
- 2 packets of red cherry tomatoes – halved
- 1 packet of yellow tomatoes – halved
- 1 small red onion, peeled and diced
- 1 bunch of coriander leaves chopped
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon ground cayenne pepper
- 1 clove garlic – peeled and diced
- ¼ teaspoon sea salt
- juice of 1 lemon
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 6 tablespoons olive oil
Toss the chickpeas, tomatoes, onion and coriander together in a big salad bowl.
Place the dressing ingredients in a blender and blend until smooth, then pour into the salad and toss until well integrated.
Chill before serving et voila!